The International Union for the Scientific Study of the Population’s International Population Conference (IPC) occurs every four years. The 2017 IPC – hosted by Statistics South Africa, on behalf of the Republic of South Africa – will take place in Cape Town.
The Conference will include invited plenary debates and panel discussions on population and sustainable development issues as well as over 240 scientific sessions featuring the results of recent research from around the globe. Sessions will cover a wide range of topics including international migration, sexual and reproductive health, poverty and inequality, population and environment interactions, the consequences of population ageing and issues related to children and youth, education, the labour force, and gender and human rights. There will also be a set of sessions on Population and Policy Challenges in Africa. Attention to advances in methods and data measuring population phenomena and evaluating progress towards health and development goals such as the SDGs will be a key concern cutting across all sessions. In addition, there will be exhibits, side meetings and training sessions.
The Conference is open to all members of the population community and draws in experts working in research, teaching, governmental and non-governmental organizations, as well as the private sector including publishing companies and the media.
List of Themes and Conveners
1. Ageing and Intergenerational Relations, Gustavo De Santis, University of Florence
2. Biodemography, Eileen Crimmins, University of Southern California
3. Children and Youth, Jean-François Kobiané, Université Ouaga I Pr Joseph Ki-Zerbo
4. Culture, Religion, Language and Demographic Behaviours, Jennifer Johnson-Hanks, University of California, Berkeley
5. Demographic Methods and Data, Vladimir Canudas-Romo, University of Southern Denmark
6. Education and Labour Force, Ragui Assaad, University of Minnesota
7. Fertility, Suzana Cavenaghi, National School of Statistical Science (ENCE/IBGE), Brazil
8. Gender and Population, Sunita Kishor, ICF International
9. Health, Mortality and Longevity, Marc Luy, Vienna Institute of Demography and Osman Sankoh, INDEPTH Network
10. Historical Demography, Héctor Perez-Brignoli, Universidad de Costa Rica
11. HIV/AIDS and STIs, Susan Watkins, University of California, Los Angeles
12. Marriage and Union Formation, Families and Households, Noriko Tsuya, Keio University
13. Migration and Urbanisation, Aris Ananta, University of Indonesia and Carla Pederzini, Universidad Iberoamericana
14. Population and Development, Cassio M. Turra, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais (UFMG)
15. Population and Human Rights, Barbara B. Crane, Ipas
16. Population, Consumption and the Environment, Leiwen Jiang, Shanghai University / National Center for Atmospheric Research
17. Sexuality and Reproductive Health, Clifford Odimegwu, University of the Witwatersrand
18. Spatial Demography, Stephen Matthews, The Pennsylvania State University
19. Population and Policy Challenges in Africa, Alex Chika Ezeh, African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC)
For more information and to register, please visit the conference website here or through the link below: