The IAWG Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex and Queer + (LGBTIQ+) subworking group aims to improve quality, access and availability of SRH services in humanitarian settings for LGBTIQ+ populations by improving cross sector collaboration, ensuring inclusion through established technical standards, engaging LGBTIQ+ networks, and advocating with agencies working in SRH in emergencies.
To raise awareness about LGBTIQ+ needs in humanitarian settings within the field of humanitarian SRH and amongst global IAWG members; – To build and enhance the knowledge and capacity of IAWG members around the SRH-related needs, concerns and priorities of LGBTIQ+ persons; – To connect and build linkages and strengthen the meaningful cooperation and collaboration with LGBTIQ+ groups, other non-humanitarian actors with expertise working with SRH-related concerns for LGBTIQ+ populations, and the SRH humanitarian field; and – To advance inclusion of LGBTIQ+ populations, and integrate a consideration for their particular needs, in all phases of the emergency management cycle.
Activities in 2018
- Develop a matrix tailored to IAWG subworking groups (i.e GBV, adolescents, abortion, contraception, data, etc) to articulate how LGBTIQ+ populations are at increased vulnerability and face additional barriers in accessing services;
- Create a library of relevant guidance and best practices of SRHR from the development world;
- Gather resources and info graphics to showcase and describe the different LGBTIQ+ people and groups (e.g. lesbian, trans women, trans lesbians, etc.) to distribute amongst IAWG and partners;
- Produce a key advocacy messaging document on the need to focus on SRH for LGBTIQ+ persons in humanitarian settings; and
- Develop a partnership list of LGBTIQ+ networks and organizations to engage with and reach out for collaboration.
Please see the sub-working group’s terms of reference here.